[ExI] Computronium planet.

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 05:47:44 UTC 2012

Like Anders, I don't really agree with the observation that I
reported. For all practical purposes (FAPP), what really matters is
not perfect computation, but good-enough, fit-for-purpose computation,
and we know that a small part of the universe (like a supercomputer)
can compute the future of another part of the universe (like
tomorrow's weather, or a baby AI) with a reasonably good approximation
FAPP. Computronium is the ultimate supercomputing substrate.

But I find the observation (and the overall attitude behind it)
interesting. Our own thinking ability requires a space-time and all
the laws of physics to run it, so the universe is already partly
optimized for processing conscious thoughts (not necessarily fully
optimized though). In a all-is-connected way, perhaps the tiniest
particles in a far galaxy influence our thoughts here and now, in a
sort of cognitive Mach principle.