[ExI] Computronium planet.

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 15:35:37 UTC 2012

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently a friend observed that if our universe is the fastest machine
> able to compute itself (this assumption seems necessary to avoid causality
> violation paradoxes), then our matter is _already_ computronium, and we
> just cannot squeeze more computing power out of it.

You're trying to compare time in a simulated world with time in the world
doing the simulating, and there is just no way for beings in the simulated
world to do that; that is to say there is no way to measure the ratio of
speed at which things change in our world to the speed things change in the
universe simulating us, there is just no unique way to do that. It might
matter to them but it wouldn't matter to us if it took them one Plank
second (5.4*10^-44 seconds) of their time to simulate a billion years of
ours, or a billion of their years to simulate one Plank second of ours.

Also they could use shortcuts, they wouldn't need to constantly simulate
everything just the stuff the conscious simulated beings were looking at.
Hmm, that sounds familiar somehow.

  John K Clark