[ExI] Alpha Centauri

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 09:02:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> On 16/10/2012 16:17, David Lubkin wrote:
>> So we don't need a starship, uploading, or MNT. Just patience.
>

> A lot of it.

Using present rockets, about 50,000 to 100,000 years.
So we need new rocket systems first.
And unless we leap instantly to near lightspeed transport, the first
generation ships will be muchly discouraged by the knowledge that
their journey will be so long that they will almost certainly be
overtaken by second and third generation transports. So first
generation ships might as well not bother.

> But yes, this is *coool*. Nice to see terrestrials in a double/triple
> system.

A very *hot* terrestrial.  About 1200 C. Definitely t-shirt and shorts weather.
See:
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/10/16/alpha-centauri-has-a-planet/>

> I am going to play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri with renewed reverence
> tonight.

I keep trying, but I still prefer Civilization III.  :)

BillK