[ExI] RES: age of mockery

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:15:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Charlie Stross
<charlie.stross at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the contrary; the criminalization of child pornography is a *perfect* example of why we don't actually have free speech in the west.
>
> (A case can be made that photographs of child abuse are evidence of a crime being committed. But what about cartoons, or textual descriptions? One of which is explicitly, and the other of which is implicitly, illegal in the UK?)

IIRC, said cartoons and textual descriptions have been found
legal in the US (so far as regular pornography is legal).  Only
photos are illegal, since they are provably impossible to
create and share without committing a crime (at least
 outside of certain purposes - primarily medical - which
require prior licensing of the involved adults).

(Note that, for legal purposes, extremely realistic CGI is
considered a "cartoon", not a "photo", in this case.  However,
the criminal justice system does not require 100% proof -
since that can not be obtained in many cases - so anyone
claiming their images were such CGI would have a heavy
burden of proof. Still, if they could prove it, they might go free.
Though if such a tactic became widespread, things would get
"interesting", as in the Chinese curse.)