[ExI] Alpha Centauri

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Oct 19 21:36:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, ddraig wrote:

> On 17 October 2012 20:02, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Using present rockets, about 50,000 to 100,000 years.
> > So we need new rocket systems first.
> > And unless we leap instantly to near lightspeed transport, the first
> > generation ships will be muchly discouraged by the knowledge that
> > their journey will be so long that they will almost certainly be
> > overtaken by second and third generation transports.
>
> Isn't this a major aspect of The Forever War?

As far as I remember, the huge problem of people involved in the
above mentioned story was that they _had_to_ return. Back to the Earth,
back to the civilisation which had nothing to propose so had to reuse them
over and over (in hope that the trouble with some guys not fitting in will
get solved in a, well, natural way). Finally, after the peace,
civilisation grew up so big there was no problem with creating planetary
sized reservation for relatively few "500 years old retards".

Now, I see it as a very positive sign that nobody here considers going
back at all :-). Myself, I wouldn't like to go back.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola