[ExI] Convergence

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 24 10:29:00 UTC 2012

On 24/10/2012 11:04, BillK wrote:
> What I see as the main problem in forecasting is forecasting society
> behaviour.

The problem is that societal behaviour is not really forecastable. There
are too few constraints outside slow demographic and institutional
change, and the system changes in response to what you do. You certainly
ought to consider social and cultural factors, but it is not anything
that can be reliably forecast.

My standard example is twitter. If a time traveller had explained the
concept to me and my classmates back in 1991 I think we could have
programmed the system without too much effort. However, we would not
have been able to make any prediction about what it would be used for.
In fact, it would likely have been fairly useless given the small number
of Internet users back then. Twitter gets its functionality from what
social functionality people invent, and for that you need 1) lots of
users, 2) some experience with social media, and 3) creativity. So the
current role of twitter was entirely impossible to forecast, although
*maybe* we would have been able to figure out the above 1-3 requirements
and hence deduce that if it ever got big it would get big in the future
when there would be more internet users. But most likely we would have
just concluded it was a useless system.

> So, after the technical phase of planning, I would like to see a phase
> of 'reality' planning added on. People asking whether the project is
> politically feasible, supported by enough backing, not opposed by
> strong opponents, and likely to receive continued support and funding
> for the duration, taking into account possible wars, disasters,
> famines, etc.

And then what? Many very successful systems have been successful without
such planning (consider the Internet, where again as in the twitter
example, the actual role became known only as it was invented). And if
you conclude that your system would be opposed by group X, is that an
argument against the system or just an argument for a marketing campaign
aimed at group X?

In general humans are bad at long-term forecasting and planning. Having
foresight is useful, but one should not overestimate our ability to be
accurate. Adaptivity is better than overconfidence in any plan.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute