[ExI] Hurricane Sandy

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:47:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Mike Dougherty  wrote:
> I understand that modelling a hurricane is no small task.  It's the
> basic definition of a complex system.
<snip>
> I was really looking for preemptive strikes against the hurricane
> itself.  If cloud-seeding can make rain, is there a similar something
> that can artificially/manually downgrade a hurricane?

No.  Or, at least, not yet.
They've been trying since the 1940s. And actually seeding hurricanes.
But it didn't work.
<http://www.hurricaneville.com/project_stormfury.html>

There are new ideas being proposed, though.
<http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20121024/hurricanes-global-warming-climate-change-scientists-cloud-seeding-geoengineering-storms-temperatures>

But it might not always be a good idea. Sometimes a hurricane is
needed to break a long drought season.
Changing rainfall patterns could be expected to get complaints from
areas deprived of 'their' rainfall.

BillK