[ExI] Hurricane Sandy

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:28:34 UTC 2012

You mean like solar-powered orbital lasers to heat the
ocean (or at least the cloud cover) to influence the
storm's path?  Though you'd need to pump a lot of
energy in to have any significant effect.  A fully
developed hurricane gives off around 50 terawatts of
heat energy; the record-highest laser outputs are about
10 times that, and tropical depressions may be 5
terawatts.

(Nuking hurricanes has likewise been suggested.  Aside
from the problem of creating radioactive hurricanes,
h-bombs - as energetic as they are - are simply way too
tiny.  It'd be like trying to stop a van with an average
feather.)

Speaking of energy, another idea is to deploy a large
number of Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion systems
near areas of tropical depression formation.  These
systems exploit the difference between warm surface
water and cold deep water to run a heat engine.  They're
not very efficient - very much an early-stage technology
for energy production - but they could perhaps be
optimized to quickly cool the surface of some large
expanse of water, generating a bit of electricity as a
byproduct.  Unfortunately, this would easily be a
multi-billion dollar project: impossible to get funded
without decades of work and government involvement.

Deploying a large floating wind farm to eat up forming
depressions is another idea, but runs into the same
financial issue - though wind might cost less, and wind
power is more developed.  This might be more feasible.
It would likely be operated by the US Navy - which
service has proven amenable to ideas like this in recent
years.