[ExI] 100 yr old on leno, was: RE: Severe Diet Doesn't Prolong Life, at Least in Monkeys

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Sep 1 16:32:46 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

>.I will be damned, Aunt Bertha wasn't crazy.

>.Lesson: those of you especially younger types who are lucky enough to have
an elderly relative living nearby, make arrangements and go see her.  It's
probably a her.  This is a long weekend, so you have time.  Make a call, do
it, get er dun.  Once they are gone, they are gone forever.  spike

Oy, I understated that egregiously.  Everyone here who has elderly
relatives, do stop and estimate how long you will have them.  When you
finish that exercise and make arrangements to see them, note especially the
value of finding a married couple still living, or siblings, for they can
remind each other of the long past.  If you can find people who knew your
grandparents as equals, as their colleagues and contemporaries, they can
offer insights better than your own parents, who saw your grandparents from
the point of view of an offspring views a parent.  You want a grandparent's
sibling or cousin, or failing that, a grandparent's neighbor, a classmate, a
friend.

Take a video recording device.  Years from now, you will treasure that
video.  Their other descendants and yours will treasure that video.  With my
own Aunt Bertha, I wrote down what she said, but didn't get either an audio
or video.  There are things you just don't get at age 29 but you do waaay
grok at age 51.

If you can't do it now, make definite plans and hang and actual date on it.
Do it, get er dun, opportunity is fleeting.