[ExI] Transhuman

Kate Moore katenmoore at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 00:58:31 UTC 2012

Some will (and have) gone this route. I never thought about cosmetic body modification as being transhumanist, but I guess it kind of is. I'm not sure what percentage, but I'm guessing a large portion, of those who modify their bodies in this manner do it to try and look more attractive, because of some sort of body dysmorphia. I don't think most people would be interested in that, though, at the very least due to instinctual aversion to the pain of getting it and resulting aesthetics, as well as not being as attractive to other human beings.

I think the majority of people nowadays wouldn't significantly alter their bodies unless it looked natural and/or they had to because of a physical deficiency (like having lost an arm, or recieved severe burning). Later on, there will probably be something that becomes common, though, like tattoos and piercings. Hopefully it wont be (probably will be) something ridiculous, like everyone replacing their left index finger with a robotic one that can't really do anything extra. Though I guess if mine could do something cool, like point a laser that I can aim at the sky to aid in the nights I take telescopes out to teach people about the stars, then I might be interested. ;)

--Kate