[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 5 10:38:46 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 11:19, BillK wrote:
> IEET have a long article suggesting that the future of all
> civilisations is to 'transcend' and live inside black hole domains.

While I hope this is possible and maybe true, I think there is a deep
problem with the hypothesis: it assumes a very strong convergence to
this lifestyle. It must be so good that no alien Amish or explorers get
left behind to make the universe different. Can you imagine any cultural
or technological innovation that would suck in 100% of humans?

My and Stuart Armstrong's work on Dyson-powered intergalactic
colonisation has convinced me that the Fermi question is between a
million and a billion times tougher than commonly assumed: we need to
consider aliens not just from our galaxy but from a sizeable fraction of
all visible galaxies as potential past colonizers here. That means that
any cultural convergence better be a million or a billion times stronger
than the level we would think necessary in order to keep the Milky Way
colonisation-free. I don't think we have any plausible mechanism for that.

The alternatives is of course that aliens are between a million or a
billion times rarer than we would normally think, that the risk of
existential risk is between a million or a billion times worse, that
they are here but manages to maintain silence to a very high degree, or
that the technology ceiling is much lower than we normally assume on
this list.

The silence in the sky is surprisingly talkative, but it is unclear what
it is saying.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute