[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 5 13:54:14 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 13:16, BillK wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>> While I hope this is possible and maybe true, I think there is a deep
>> problem with the hypothesis: it assumes a very strong convergence to this
>> lifestyle. It must be so good that no alien Amish or explorers get left
>> behind to make the universe different. Can you imagine any cultural or
>> technological innovation that would suck in 100% of humans?
> Well, of course we are not talking about clever monkeys leaping into
> black holes.  :)
>
> It will be the future descendents of humanity after 500 or a thousand
> years of transhumanism have left animal bodies behind long ago. As
> humanity evolves into computronium with all that that implies not many
> will resist the move to a different substrate. Perhaps some will, at
> first, to succumb later. (Resistance is futile!).

Yes, but unless the rate of succumbing is higher than the rate of
spreading, there will be more and more people living outside over time.
In addition, there is a form of cultural evolution going on: people who
are strongly averse to moving in will have more outside "offspring"
(copies, daughter colonies, whatever) than those who are more OK with
moving in (they move in and have no offspring). Over time you will get
more and more resistant people, who are unlikely to want to join. It
only takes one such resistant group that decides to colonize the
universe, and it will be colonized.

The same is true for all other civilisations. For the transcension
hypothesis to work it needs to assume that the attractiveness of
computronium is enormous for *all* alien types, no matter how weird. And
this attractiveness is so big that no individual values or goals could
ever resist it over time. That seems to be a pretty amazing assumption.

Is there *anything* we know of that would be such a motivator to present
humans? Something so good that nobody can resist it even when they have
religious, philosophical or ideosyncratic reasons to not go for it?
People are obviously resisting both sex, chocolate, religion, world of
warcraft, drugs and pursuing individual happiness already.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute