[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Sep 5 21:23:16 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 19:40, BillK wrote:
> 1) If only 1% of a nation opt out of migrating to the computronium
> substrate, will they still have enough resources to do space travel?
> As well as maintaining their 1% civilisation. The Amish just maintain
> their way of life.

It depends on their technology and society, I doubt there is any general
statement that can be made. For Fermi question purposes it is enough to
note that there could well be 1% remnants that could expand greatly -
consider a near-singularity culture where people have nanoassemblers and
libraries of blueprints. In order for this argument to work as a patch
for the attractor argument you need to show that it is likely that *no*
remnants ever can spread. And I am pretty confident that if you have
copyable minds and a bit of nanotech you could definitely spam the universe.

> 2) John Smart's thesis is that it is a mistake to look for a 'great
> attractor'. Especially one that attracts all civs no matter what they
> are descended from. He is looking for something that affects all civs
> in the galaxy. His suggestion is that as species develop they all
> converge on the same outcome. Because that's the way the universe works.

> It is not an 'attractor'. It is the inevitable path that intelligence
> follows.

Yes, but he has not proven (or even made plausible) that STEM is such an
inevitable point.

I think we can agree that there are likely some convergence points like
mathematics and certain technologies. And I think it is plausible that
any advanced civilisation will achieve and make use of STEM
technologies. But even though STEM is super-useful, that doesn't mean
one can then conclude that henceforth there will be no non-STEM
activities. Yes, most rational goals can be achieved inside STEM
clusters, but there are some goals that are either irrational or
not-achievable in the cluster.

To work as an explanation it needs to be plausible that it is inevitable
on a civilisation scale but also on the individual scale. It is the
later that I find a very bold and unsupported claim. Why would *all*
alien space-Amish want STEM? Why would *all* alien explorers decide it
is better to live in black holes before launching exploration projects?
Why would *all* alien artists decide that pretentious art projects that
take eons to unfold are too much work?

Claiming STEM is super-useful is not enough. Arguing that clustered
intelligences lack interest in outside things due to time lags  is not
enough - that just shaves off the majority of minds. To work as a Fermi
explanation you need something much stronger, really an argument to the
effect that "Once technology X arrives - and *all* technological
civilizations find it - it becomes practically impossible for *any*
member of *any* kind of civilisation to make any observable activity".

That is a tall order.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute