[ExI] Transhuman

Joshua Job nanite1018 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 01:06:25 UTC 2012

I question that Thoreau was more like himself. He's always himself, just
under different conditions. The idea that we have some sort of immutable
nature as individuals is something that is simply wrong. I think it may
also be a source of problems in a post-human future. Misunderstanding this
leads to psychological and social problems for current humans.

As for practicality for cosmetics and cosmetic surgery--it seems that
humans require standards of health and vitality to judge others on. A
notion of beauty or attractiveness or "hey I should talk to them"-ness is
required as a heuristic in our dealings with others to constrain the
problem of who to interact with, particularly with regards to potential
sexual partners. It is likely a biological fact that such standards of
physical attractiveness exist.

Given that they are real, then working to conform to them brings you
practical benefits, in that people like you more, will be more helpful, and
think you are a more self-confident person (another trait people think
important).

It would seem that the biology/psychology of humans is what gives
cosmetic-anything its value.
-Josh.