[ExI] Transhuman

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Sep 6 15:30:10 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty

>...What is the _practical_ benefit of cosmetics?  I'm not even talking
about looking like a lizard, I mean that billion-dollar industry of
facepaint and fakery.  I held my opinion on the high-heeled footware
discussion, but you're not really going to convince me there's any more
_practical_ use for those either...

Cosmetics are auto-erotic.  For some odd and unexplainable reason, the
effect is an order of magnitude greater in women than in straight men.
Vaguely analogous are the torture-shoes: they don't make women more
attractive directly, but rather (apparently) make women feel more
attractive, which (somehow) causes them to behave in a more attractive
manor.  It isn't that we boys are attracted to the shoes, but they think we
are, so when they wear them they behave as though they are more attractive,
which in some cases is self-fulfilling conviction.  Cosmetics do the same
trick.

Male counterpart: guys, when you rumble up on a Harley, in work boots with a
tool belt and hardhat, I'm guessing that we really aren't more attractive
exactly.  We look as silly as one of the Village People.  But in that outfit
we sure as hell *feel* more macho, ja?  Compare how you would carry yourself
in that outfit, and contrast it to how you carry yourself when you are
wearing your silk PJs and fuzzy slippers.  Which outfit stirs the hormones
and makes you feel attractive?

In both cases, the Village People outfit on the Harley and the heels with
makeup, the props are auto-erotic.

Just my theory, YMMV.