[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Sep 7 17:15:21 UTC 2012

.

>.My objection exactly. For the time being, the most persuasive answer to
the Fermi paradox remains for me that offered by Wolfram. --  Stefano Vaj

Ja, but I don't think we should give up on the turning-inward explanation,
which I think needs a standardized name.  The thought occurred to me during
Extro4 at Berkeley in 1999.  The talks were ongoing and every word uttered
there was of intense interest to me.  Sasha Chislenko had spoken, there were
wicked cool comments being made.

I realized that right at that moment, I had zero interest in whatever was
going on in the entire planet outside that hall.  Every event or happening I
cared about was right there and right then.  At that moment, and for the
entire event, there were no participants seen of in a corner writing
postcards to Aboriginal pen pals in the Australian outback.

It occurred to me that from the point of view of any MBrain, we are the
Aboriginals and we are in the outest of outbacks.  Even if the Extro4
participants had spent their time writing postcards to the outback, the
recipients wouldn't get it.  They just wouldn't grok what we were doing
there.  So there is no point in sending the postcards.

Perhaps we could call that the Outback Postcards solution to the Fermi
Anomaly.