[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 10 20:34:28 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Keith Henson
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 11:22 AM
To: extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
Subject: Re: [ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:00 AM,  "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

snip

> Until we know otherwise, we should assume we are the first
> intelligence in the universe, and behave accordingly.  We need to
> become that lifeform we feared existed somewhere, the one that is
> spreading everywhere and colonizing everything.  We need to get with
> the program on that MBrain and get moving before some other
evolution-forsaken beast gets here first.

I have never seen a satisfactory explanation for how MBrains get around
speed of light and heat sinking issues.

Perhaps you have or could point me to such an explanation.

Keith

It doesn't get around those issues, it works with them.  We see everything
through the eyes of beasts which live only a century or less, so we have a
hard time contemplating what it would be like if we existed as a virtual
colony among billions of bits of computronium.  These would take millions of
years to go from one star to the next.

The heat sinking issue is solved by directing the momentum of the star's
light all in one direction.  About a year ago, I was fooling with these
equations and was startled to realize that waste heat is proportional to the
collective momentum of the photons coming off the star.  Not only can an
MBrain direct the momentum in one direction, it must, otherwise it will
overheat.  If it is absorbing a significant portion of the energy of the
star, it is either jet off somewhere or cook.

I don't know of an online explanation of that concept.  I might need to
write one.