[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Sep 14 00:46:53 UTC 2012

On 13/09/2012 20:54, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Seems logical to me. Life tends to expand into ALL available niches.
>>> Why would that stop now?
>> For the same reason that we will soon be controlling evolution.  Intelligence.
> I don't find that very convincing. Even intelligent life wants to
> reproduce itself.

(also relevant to Keith's new calibrating social models thread:)
"Small family size increases the wealth of descendants but reduces
evolutionary success"
http://esciencenews.com/articles/2012/08/28/small.family.size.increases.wealth.descendants.reduces.evolutionary.success
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2012/08/27/rspb.2012.1415
It turns out that people rationally have fewer children because it gives
them a better life, despite this being long-term worse for their genes.

And of course, plenty of humans choose to be celibate, use
contraceptives or have fewer children. A classic finding in modern
demography is that introducing television soap operas showing rich
families with few kids in Brazilian and Indian rural villages reduces
fertility significantly. It turns out that the number of kids people
have is very culturally and individually pliable: far more than if there
were an innate drive to reproduce.

Over long spans of time pro-breeding memes or genes are likely to
flourish, but they can express themselves in ways that actually
population-limiting, like the above care for the future prospects of the
children.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute