[ExI] Reply to an article

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Sep 18 11:13:05 UTC 2012

On 18/09/2012 04:32, Keith Henson wrote:
> Far as I know, the engineers of the world have not been asked how to
> solve the problems.

"If we treated climate change as an engineering problem and not a moral
problem, it would be solved long ago". There is plenty of truth in that:
the issue of climate change has become dominated by a particular crowd
of people whose outlook favours particular styles of solutions (emission
reduction) over other styles (geoengineering, adaptation, really new
energy sources). The reasons for that are the usual sociological and
political ones - reduction fit the green small is beautiful view, it
looked like a governable problem from the perspective of decisionmakers,
it did not have the uncertainties of the other approaches etc. Add
plenty of self-interest and stir.

Engineers jumping in and suggesting that we just *solve* the problem
don't get much traction, partially because most of the crowd doesn't
understand them, and partially because they don't see the messy bigger
picture of coupled economical and political systems. It is a bit like
trying to engineer away the problems of the US election or legal system:
sure, there might be ways that would work better, but implementing them
are near-impossible for constitutional, legal and political reasons.
Engineering works best when you get to start fresh on designing
something, not when you have to retrofit a complex recalcitrant system.

Still, geoengineering is being taken somewhat seriously these days. I
know some researchers here in Oxford, both doing simulations and
analysing how to handle the ethics/governance problems. And they later
problems are nontrivial: just because something can in principle be done
doesn't mean it would be a good idea (consider a climate tug-of-war
between Bangladesh and Scandinavia, the fact that geoengineering that
has maximal positive impact on China's agriculture is pretty bad for
India, and vice versa, and the fundamental problems of properly testing
something that affects the total and only system). Everybody who knows
the field well tell me that it better be the last resort.

I think coming up with a better way of selling efficient space solar
power as an idea would work far better. Besides, having that
infrastructure up there might be useful if we need to launch a solar shade.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute