[ExI] cortical architecture/"connectome"

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 18 23:24:02 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Davis
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:10 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] cortical architecture/"connectome"

What do you all make of this? Best, Jeff Davis

>...Blue Brain Project accurately predicts connections between neurons

>...http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-09/epfd-bbp091212.php

>...Blue Brain Project accurately predicts connections between neurons Proof
of concept: Researchers identify principles to support brain simulation
models

I sure hope Pousaz is right.  If so, it looks like we could use the sketchy
model I have been using for an MBrain, and see how (at least kinda
theoretically) a mind could be mapped into a tenth of a teranode.  My recent
thinking on this has a generic completely inexperienced human mind being
simulated by an MBrain.  But if this model is right, we can at least imagine
a particular mind being mapped into the 100 giganodes.

This would solve a problem that has really been bugging me.  Imagine an
MBrain could theoretically simulate a human brain.  The critical missing
matter becomes the actual content.  Then the situation could be illustrated
by a thought experiment: imagine a human brain being born into an individual
who was blind and deaf and had no limbs, so that almost all sensory inputs
into that brain never get through.  My notion is that this brain would never
think anything really, or wouldn't do much that we think of as a human mind.
Now imagine a second brain which developed normally, but the person went
completely blind and deaf, and for some reason all the sensory organs
failed.  That brain could float there in the dark silence and still come up
with ideas.

If you follow my notions in the above thought experiment, you see why I am
interested in figuring out how to get an MBrain to simulate not just a
generic brain, but a particular brain, preferably mine.   I really like it
here in my particular brain, it is fun in here.