[ExI] lettuce bot

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 01:02:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Cool I have envisioned something like this for some time now, at least since
> becoming part owner of a farm.  It seems to me like this could be programmed
> to recognize harmful bugs and differentiate from harmless or beneficial
> bugs.  Then zap the bad guys with a laser or something.  What I don’t know,
> but Keith does, is if an effective laser could be run off of batteries,
> rather than internal combustion.  Reasoning: neither the weed recognition,
> nor the bug recognition, nor the laser control system would work right with
> reciprocating machinery aboard, I would think.

>From the subject I assumed the content would be news of a breakthrough
in 3D printing to create lettuce.  Yeah, because an achievement of
such magnitude would mean we are 1/3 of the way to a sandwich maker
that could, you know "make me a sandwich."  Hopefully it'll be
equipped with wifi to talk with the bread machine, else there will
inevitably be no bread upon which to place the freshest BLT you can
imagine.

I would imagine the first lettuce-printer might also have some bugs,
but rather than lasers you'll need programmers to kill them.