[ExI] One Per Cent: Watson, the supercomputer genius, heads for the cloud

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 20:40:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM, J.R. Jones wrote:
> Thoughts on the impact of this?
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/09/watson-the-supercomputer-geniu.html

Seems reasonable to me. As the article states, the first area is
medical diagnosis where trials are producing good results. Watson
seems to avoid the human biases that doctors have and will produce a
more correct diagnosis. And obviously IBM will try to extend Watson
into as many fields of data as possible.

I would associate this with another article I read that suggests that
modern tech is changing human minds. (This may be more applicable to
the younger generation). He suggests that modern people don't
understand how things work anymore - they just know how to use the
technology.
<http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/scaruffi20120921>

e.g satnavs. To most people it is just magic.
also computers, tablets, phones, etc.  It's all magic.

BillK