[ExI] equinox

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Sep 23 06:03:45 UTC 2012

>. On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
>.Subject: Re: [ExI] equinox

>.(I have been thinking of intersections with planes a lot today, as I
updated https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann%27s_minimal_surface - I have a
little hobby project of brushing up the minimal surface corner of Wikipedia.
)

So cool!  This is way awesome, Anders!

>>.On 22/09/2012 15:49, spike wrote:

>>.Happy equinox extropians!

>.Ah! I thought I felt a geometric plane sweep by! Anders Sandberg.

An odd thing is this: we have a perfectly arbitrary time which is celebrated
to gross excess every year all over the globe, when a perfectly arbitrary
calendar mark passes, HAPPY NEW YEAR etc.  That always seemed so annoyingly
phony to me, three two one, CELEBRATE WILDLY, vacuous knuckle draggers, etc,
when there is no actual celestial event corresponding to it, not even lunar.
Yet the four occasions of every year when there really is something of
celestial significance, the solstices and the equinoxes, nothing.  Unless
you are a fellow atheist/pagan, there are no actual celebrations.  It is
lonely being an atheist pagan, and the common people have no problem with
insulting us at all.

For instance, you perhaps heard of all the controversy surrounding the edgy
artwork known as Piss Christ, with the crucifix in a jar of urine.  That was
in the headlines again as some provocative hothead put an image of a bearded
man in a turban in a jar of urine, and called it Piss Joseph Smith.  Of
course all those countries in which the radical Mormons are known to riot,
the radical Mormons are rioting.

Since these so-called artists have intentionally offended the Christians and
the Mormons with their grossly insensitive provocations, I suppose it was
only a matter of time before they decided to offend the atheists, so now
there is yet another work of so-called art in which the atheists' object of
worship (nothing) is being similarly degraded, this one entitled simply
Piss.  Just as it sounds, it is a jar of urine.  Only.  Nothing in urine.
This proved problematic, for any instance where nothing is being degraded is
now an insult to those of us who are extremely sensitive atheists,
protective of our object of worshipful adoration: nothing.  They should
really be more understanding, and show some cultural sensitivity!

Now, whenever I am at the medic's office and she asks for a urine sample,
well, I cannot even do this simple medically-necessary diagnostic procedure
without offending myself.  I am really pissed whenever I see Piss.  But
there are so few atheists in this non-wicked old world, that when we
unbelievers are offended, we can't even raise a respectable riot.  Hell we
can't even find each other.  A one-man riot just doesn't get it done.
Imagine what I must look like, a single guy out there on the streets all
alone, rioting against Piss.  To the uneducated and insensitive faceless
masses, I must appear to be an ordinary pissed off mad man.  What shall I
do?