[ExI] riots again

Charlie Stross charlie.stross at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:36:02 UTC 2012

On 24 Sep 2012, at 22:25, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 24/09/2012 19:59, Charlie Stross wrote:
>> Also note that Monty Python's "Life of Brian" was:
>> * Banned by Norway
>
> Which led to the classic Swedish ad slogan: "So fun it was banned in Norway".
>

>> We in the west are not as far removed from this shit as we like to think we are.
>
> True, but the progress since then has also been fairly remarkable. And that is pretty good news: societies can become more culturally laid back over just a generation.

I'm watching with interest the age stratification in the polling over two issues that are in transition in the west: gay marriage and cannabis legalization. Both broadly supported by the under-50s and broadly disliked by the over-60s.

(One problem with life extension tech or meds, if we get them: cultural ossification may be a side-effect, unless there are significant improvements in cognitive function in terms of regaining youthful flexibility and resilience.)

-- Charlie