[ExI] Global solar photovoltaic industry is likely now a net energy producer, Stanford researchers find

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:23:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> the clean electricity from all the installed solar panels has likely just
> surpassed the energy going into the industry's continued growth

How very depressing, that only happened now!? Solar technology is supposed
to save us all from energy starvation that you say will engulf us all in
2020, and yet only now in 2013 has it managed to produced a little more
energy than it consumed; it sounds like the fusion energy fiasco all over
again. If this really is a existential problem as you insist it is and if
it is likely to kick in before some of our cell phone contracts expire as
you also say it will then don't you think it might be wise to at least talk
about energy solutions other than solar or wind or moonbeams or harnessed
hummingbirds? Maybe we should get serious and consider solutions that at
least have a fighting chance of working.

  John K Clark