[ExI] future of slavery

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Apr 10 07:41:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-09 17:11, spike wrote:
> Prolism is a failure to recognize
> that our world is full of those who choose this life.

I think this is very true. Thanks Spike for the neologism!

As intellectuals we tend to overlook the value in other approaches to
life. Just because it makes little sense to us doesn't mean it lacks
value or meaning.

Distinguishing whether somebody has slipped into an approach because of
mere circumstance or actually choose it typically requires talking to
them: if you believe we have a moral duty to help people to be
autonomous you should hence try talking to a lot of people (and
occasionally try to tell some of the non-autonomous their options). If
nothing else you will learn from it.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute