[ExI] future of proletariat, was: RE: future of slavery

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Apr 10 08:35:23 UTC 2013

Just-in-time skills. Global frequency work.

On 2013-04-09 19:31, spike wrote:
> In our modern world, much more now than about 16-17 yrs ago when the
> wearables group was near its peak, I had a notion that if we had the means
> to carry some kind of head mounted camera and a microphone, along with an
> earpiece of some sort, it would allow an prole to open a uplink-downlink
> which would allow a third party to see and hear what the prole is seeing and
> hearing.  This would allow the third person to instruct her on what to do in
> realtime.

This works when the third party (1) knows what the situation demands,
and (2) can explain it to somebody who has little clue. In addition, to
really function well the third party should also have a bit of
situational awareness ("Oh, by the way, it doesn't matter if we fix the
autopilot, I see that the stabilizer is also broken") and is able to
tell the relevant agency the problem. Sounds entirely doable, but it
actually does require both the prole, the third party, and the
organization employing them to learn how to do it. I doubt that will be
easy - we are still learning what outsourcing can and cannot do, and how
to use it well.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute