[ExI] proto-bitcoin

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 18 20:28:06 UTC 2013

On 18/04/2013 19:17, spike wrote:

> >...  I will be extremely annoyed (and yet paradoxically entertained and
> perhaps even titillated) if I learn that one or more of the GIMPS
> discoverers bought their way to godhood... spike

Now, a market for godhood sounds rather extropian. A market for honorary
godhood may be a bad thing (it is supposed to be a honor), but it would
be great for real godhood since no doubt the prices would come down as
it was commoditized.

> There is not even any point in being a geek if one cannot be weird.

Yeah, mainstream geekery is so bland.

Sometimes I feel like a hipster: "I was a transhumanist before it was
cool!" Yesterday I gave a lecture to senior civil servants in the UK
government. I was presented as a transhumanist and nobody raised an
eyebrow, and afterwards several people said things straight out of our
list discussions. If people in suit and tie can discuss bitcoin, skill
uploads and big data tracking of changes in human nature over a glass of
wine in the Churchill Room of the Treasury Department, then these ideas
are no longer very weird.

Obviously we need to weird out more. Tomorrow I will give a talk about
the future of enhancement. What is the strangest enhancements we can
envision that seem remotely possible given current science?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute