[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 24 06:45:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:31:24PM -0700, Gordon wrote:
> Eugen,
>
> > First question: what do you mean by consciousness?
>
> I mean, exactly, what philosophers mean by intentionality:
>
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/intentionality/

Ok, how I measure intentionality? I need to make sure
I succeeded, after all.

Do animals have intentionality? Primates, rodents, fruit
flies, nematodes, bacteria, viruses?

> > Second question: what do you think computational neuroscientists are doing?
>
> If by computational neuroscientists you mean cognitive scientists, I believe they are following a false model. The computational model of mind is, I think, wrong.

No, I definitely do not mind mere cognitive scientists, I mean computational
neuroscientists.

Why do you think the model is false? How do you know it's wrong,
if the output is behaviour matching control?