[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:32:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013  Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I remain convinced that digital simulations can never have consciousness,
> and that strong (conscious) AI and uploading is impossible

Your belief, and all beliefs for that matter, that uploading is impossible
is based entirely on a very strong intuitive feeling that it just can't be
right. Well I'm human too and I also have that feeling just like you do,
but I don't trust my intuition one bit on things like this because I know
that there was absolutely no Evolutionary advantage in my ancestors being
good at it so I inherited no innate skill in this area nor did anybody
else. So if I know that my intuition sucks then the only way to get at the
truth is to use cold hard logic on the facts about the universe that we
have with so much difficulty managed  to discover; and that tells us that
uploading could work, or at least logic can't find any reason why it
wouldn't.

Intuition also screams at us that Quantum Mechanics and even Relativity
can't be right, but our intuition stinks in these realms too and for
exactly the same reason.

> on digital computers.

Way back in 1995 I spammed this list with a advertisement for my home study
course on analog computers, this is that ad:

Welcome to the exciting world of analog computing. Thanks to the new Heath
Kit Home Study Course, you can build your very own analog computer in the
privacy of your own home. Make big bucks! Amaze your friends! Be a hit at
parties! This is a true analog computer, no wimpey pseudo analog stuff
here, this baby can handle infinity.

Before we begin construction there are a few helpful hints I'd like to pass
along. Always keep your workplace neat and clean. Make sure your computer
is cold, as it will not operate at any finite temperature above absolute
zero. Use only analog substances and processes, never use digital things
like matter, energy, spin, or electrical charge when you build your analog
computer.

Now that we got those minor points out of the way we can start to
manufacture  your analog computer.

Step One: Repeal the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
Step Two: Use any infinitely accurate measuring stick you have handy and
        .
        .

Step Infinity: ...

   John K Clark