[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Apr 24 20:26:49 UTC 2013

On 24/04/2013 19:07, spike wrote:
> I agree humans are not akin to digital computers. What I am asking is
> if we can take a buttload of digital computers, connect them all
> together, each running models of brain cells, and create something
> that is kinda sorta akin to a human brain? If not, how about some
> simpler but still conscious brain perhaps? Or if not conscious, at
> least reactive to its surroundings?

The problem is that a model is not the same thing as the system being
modeled. (Let's leave aside that the simulation may not simulate
everything going on in the system; say we actually have all the elements
and causal links correctly represented.)

A simulated hurricane does not make you wet as you sit in front of the
computer - simulated people in the simulation might indeed get
simulatedly wet, but the wetness does not carry between the levels. The
big question is whether there are some things that do exist
independently of level.

When your calculator performs a calculation, one can argue that there is
an isomorphism between its result and a "real" calculation that is
level-independent. Similarly I think intelligence is level-independent:
it does not matter how intelligent behavior or answers are produced,
they are still intelligent even if they happen inside a simulation. If
you can simulate something level-independent you can get it for "real".
But there is no agreement on consciousness: it is not obvious that it
can even be level-independent, since it is private.

Personally, being a functionalist, I think consciousness is just
information processing and is level-independent. But this is just
metaphysical guesswork. However, since philosophical zombies seem to be
incoherent (why would would zombie philosophers on zombie Earth go to
consciousness conferences rather than conferences on some other
arbitrary non-existent property?) consciousness must have some causal
power, so if you can successfully emulate a human brain and get it to
discuss its consciousness, I think you likely have evidence that
consciousness is level-independent. This is one reason I think brain
emulation will be useful: it will clean out plenty of theories in
philosophy of mind one way or another.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute