[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 05:44:59 UTC 2013

Hello old friend Stathis. You understand me on this subject probably better than anyone here. We discussed these issues at length back some 4-5 years ago. I think I am experiencing deja vu.

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's where you're wrong. If we could simulate a brain we could

simulate part of a brain. We could replace your visual cortex with an
artificial visual cortex, for example, that reproduces the I/O
behaviour of your biological cortex. If the I/O behaviour is
reproduced, than the rest of your brain will behave normally as it
receives the same inputs.<

Granted, it does seem possible to create simulated digital sensory inputs to the mind/brain, as in your example of an artificial visual cortex.. But then we can also wear sunglasses to change our visual inputs. Are we supposed to think sunglasses are conscious?

What if I implanted a physical calculator in my head to do math for me? I could hook it up to all the right "math willing" neurons to do the job for me. I'm pretty sure the calculator would give me the right answers, but that I would have nothing to do with the calculations. It would not be much different from holding the calculator in my hand, except that I would be pushing the buttons with my thoughts alone.

-Gordon