[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:24:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> <snip>
> > So, an uploaded idiot would quite probably evolve over time into
> something
> > not quite so idiotic.
> >

> Sorry, but I must have missed the memo that said that only nice guys
> would be uploaded.  :)

I said nothing of the goodness or evil of the upload, only the capacity.

> If upload increases human abilities, then it will increase evil
> abilities as well as good abilities.

Clearly!

In fact, if uploading starts off being very expensive then it is
> likely that billionaire psychopaths will be first. And they will set
> about consolidating their virtual power empire before the competition
> arrives.

Certainly that is a possibility. However, I would guess the first uploads
would be some generic plebe or crazy transhumanist working at MIT. It's a
risky proposition.

> If we consider some sort of filter and fix system during upload, then
> the resulting uploaded intelligence could be very different and
> probably not what the original would like. And who would decide what
> needed fixing and by how much?

I would hope that you would have control over your own upload. For example,
today I decide if I go to the doctor and get drugs to treat depression,
anxiety or schizophrenia.

> It's a job for your friendly superhuman AI!
>
> BillK

:-)

I don't have all the answers, and only a few interesting questions.

-Kelly