[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 16:01:21 UTC 2013

On 29/04/2013, at 1:14 AM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:

> No, No, No.  You guys still aren't getting it.  Let me try, yet again, in hopefully a better and more complete (thanks to your continued help) way of describing what I believe.
>
> This 'third' class of possibilities you are talking about is obviously accepted by everyone I know to be absurd.  Yet everyone in your camp seems to spend all their time fighting this strawman, as if everyone was giving it serious consideration.  James Carroll wrote and published an entire paper fighting this straw man 'third' class of epiphenomena possibilities idea.  You guys need to stop making fun of everyone not in your camp, as if they are talking about this 'third' class of possibilities.  Including things where you don't notice fading qualia, or any other kind of" epiphenomena" that has no causal correlate in reality.
>
> (Note:  Since I mentioned James Carroll, and his paper, and since I'd like his input on this, I've CCed him.  And I've CCed Steven Lehar, in case we can get some of his always brilliant feedback on this epiphenomena issue.)
>
> Even Chalmers wastes a huge portion of the words in the paper focusing on this absurd idea that nobody thinks is in any way important or credible, or worth wasting time on.  Because chalmers wastes so much time on this possobility, everyone redicules it as if he does give it serious consideration.  All this is so frustrating.  That is why Canonizer.com is so important, so everyone doesn't waste their time on arguments like this, which nobody takes as a serious possibility.
>
> If anyone here is giving this 'third' epiphenomenal class of possibilities any serious consideration, please speak up now, so we can quickly nip any such absurd idea in the bud, sufficiently so we don't have to return to it, yet again.  Either way, will all of you stop assuming I do believe in this epiphenomena possibility, and arguing against it, assuming you are refuting my working hypothesis by doing so.
>
> Property Dualism theories are predicting that there is very real causal properties to a redness qualia, and that through these causal properties, they have a huge influence in the world, through our consciousness.
>
> Property Dualism is also predicting that these causal properties of redness are some necessary and sufficient subset of the causal properties we already fully understand, at least abstractly and behaviorally (just not yet qualitatively).  We are not predicting there is some additional new magic, quantum, or whatever causal properties that just haven't been discovered yet.

> [...]

Brent, I'm not sure what you are calling the "third possibility" and "epiphenomena", but I guess you don't believe that the qualia can fade without you noticing, and I guess you don't believe that the qualia can fade with you noticing but being unable to change your behaviour. Good! So since your behaviour cannot change due to the replacement you must agree that the qualia must be preserved.

Having gone through this many times, I suspect that the real problem is that you still don't understand why your behaviour can't change due to the replacement, even though you agree that the behavioural properties of the brain are computable. Am I right in this?