[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 15:43:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Peak oil was 2006.

I don't think so, in 2006 the world produced 71,846,100 barrels of oil a
day, in 2011 it produced 72,888,600. And in the USA the situation is much
more dramatic, oil production rose more than half a million barrels per day
between 2007 and 2011 to the highest level in 15 years. And natural gas
liquids reached a new all time record of 2.18 million barrels per day in
2011, a increase of 400,000 barrels per day since 2007.

But all that was just up to 2011, will the trend continue? Nobody knows for
sure about 2013 because it hasn't happened yet but in 2012 oil production
increased by 760,000 barrels a day, the largest yearly increase since
records about oil production started in 1859.

> Peak total fossil and nuclear fuel and is 2020.

 EUGEN, I'm surprised at you! I thought we weren't supposed to utter the
forbidden "n" word!

> I'm afraid you'll be hurting plenty, soon.

Afraid? Eugen, I have the distinct impression that if you don't see us
hurting pretty soon from energy starvation as just punishment for our
previous extravagant ways in a sort of half-assed morality play you will be
severely disappointed.

  John K Clark