[ExI] so why do we need them?

Aleksei Riikonen aleksei at iki.fi
Sat Aug 3 00:37:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> OK then, so the obvious question that occurs to me is: given modern
> communications infrastructure, why do we need embassies and consulates?

The primary reason anyone has embassies in other countries is that
they want to have influence there. The ruling classes of any nation
are far less likely to be your political allies or do business with
your companies if you don't send over actual physical smooth-talking
folks to regularly wine and dine (and bribe) them.

For example, the Egyptian army running that country is essentially a
proxy force of the U.S., generously funded by you. You make that large
investment in the biggest muslim country in the Middle East so
islamists don't take it over (as they would in any fair democratic
elections, such as the one they just had a while ago). You want a
significant diplomatic force on the ground as well looking after that
sizable financial investment you make every year.

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei