[ExI] phony google

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 16:44:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> If little tiny innocent microscopic spike can think of this, the internet
> hipsters would be all over it 20 yrs ago.  So how do I know if I have a
> counterfeit Google now?  How would I know if I caught one later?  How do I
> know that the free widget which uninstalled Delta didn’t just change the
> names of the system files and disguise it as Google?  Is there a vocabulary
> already in place to describe this?

Use a trustworthy browser and trustworthy plug-ins. Go to google.com (or
search from the URLtoolbar). Use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Avoid Windows.
Understand that no matter what you do, you can't be sure that some bad guy
isn't listening/intercepting/redirecting anything/everything you do: you
can only make it harder for them to do that.

-Dave