[ExI] phony google

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 19:07:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM, spike  wrote:
> I found a free app that detects Delta Search, which it did.  But to actually
> delete and uninstall, they wanted 30 bucks.  So I went to a second product,
> but it was the same story.  Then I found a free widget which claimed to find
> and uninstall Delta free, deleted and uninstalled everything associated with
> Delta Search, hooray!

Delta Search is pretty tricky malware. It installs other programs as well.
Your widget will have to be good to get rid of everything.
I would recommend you do at least one anti-malware scan. (More is better).

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free here:
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/>

The scan could take 30 minutes or so, depending on your computer.

> If little tiny innocent microscopic spike can think of this, the internet
> hipsters would be all over it 20 yrs ago.  So how do I know if I have a
> counterfeit Google now?  How would I know if I caught one later?  How do I
> know that the free widget which uninstalled Delta didn’t just change the
> names of the system files and disguise it as Google?  Is there a vocabulary
> already in place to describe this?

There are other search engines! You can compare results.
Some search engines include Google searches in their results, but
without giving google your personally identifiable data.

Try
https://www.startpage.com/
https://www.ixquick.com/
https://duckduckgo.com/