[ExI] phony google

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:26:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM, spike <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> A script could randomly generate three or four terms and search on them.  A
> way to do that would be to download about a couple years of ExI-chat or
> Mensa archives, turn it into a straight text file or for that matter drop it
> into a spreadsheet (sorry, it’s the old hammer thing again), then randomly
> choose three or four words from that, search on them, open a random link in
> the top 30 for some random interval, repeat.

opening seemingly unrequested and unrelated tabs is pretty much what
the malware was doing.  You might be happier just installing more
malware to "cover your tracks" under the premise that "You honor, I'm
really not very computer savvy so those searches are probably just
malware activity that I don't know how to fix"

> If the same websites keep coming up in the top 30 results, we know that
> either we have a bogus Google or that Google has gone over to the dark side
> and has ceased being not evil.

I'm not sure how that proves anything.

> Another bonus for those of us who worry about privacy would be that it would
> obscure our web searches.  Last year a very public court case used web
> search history as evidence in a criminal case.  A young mother had evidently
> searched on chloroform.  Later her baby perished under suspicious
> circumstances.  The web search records were used in court.

All your efforts to obscure are undone by telling one data nerd to
find the signal among all the noise.  Many would do it just to prove
that it CAN be done (or that they are clever enough where others
fail).  Recall how easily you sleuthed your way to newfound relatives
via a few bits of second-order details..

> Scriptsters, what do we do now, coach?

skip all that noise generation and instead use something like Tor.
That would at least let those with real latex chicken fetish get their
content through your computer and you could get your real
whatever-else through hundreds/thousands of other people's computers.