[ExI] lavabit.com takedown

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 22:41:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM, David Lubkin wrote:
> That's one of the gotchas I mentioned in my posting about the business
> I'm thinking of kicking off. Its success depends on my customers
> trusting me with what might be confidential data. Which I'd thought
> about in terms of technologies, policies, and trustworthy staff. Now
> I have to think about what to do if their data is demanded. I don't mind
> complying so much as potentially having to conceal that compliance
> from my users.

It seems there is a strong possibility that the NSA has just destroyed
the US Cloud industry.

<http://www.itif.org/publications/how-much-will-prism-cost-us-cloud-computing-industry>

Quote:
Recent revelations about the extent to which the NSA obtains
electronic data from third-parties will likely have an immediate and
lasting impact on the competitiveness of the U.S. cloud computing
industry if foreign customers decide the risks of storing data with a
U.S. company outweigh the benefits. Unless the White House or Congress
acts soon, the U.S. cloud computing industry stands to lose $22 to $35
billion over the next three years.