[ExI] <nettime> Statement: Why Secure Email Provider Lavabit closes down

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 9 09:08:01 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded message from nettime's paranoid reader <nettime at kein.org> -----

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:57:45 +020§
From: nettime's paranoid reader <nettime at kein.org>
To: nettime-l at mx.kein.org
Subject: <nettime> Statement: Why Secure Email Provider Lavabit closes down

http://lavabit.com

My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in
crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of
hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I
have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share
with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you
deserve to know what?s going on--the first amendment is supposed to
guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this.
Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things
currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks,
even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What?s going to happen now? We?ve already started preparing the
paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth
Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect
Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without
congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_
recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with
physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC

Defending the constitution is expensive! Help us by donating to the
Lavabit Legal Defense Fund here [1].

[1] https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7BCR4A5W9PNN4

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at kein.org

----- End forwarded message -----