[ExI] UK Artificial Intelligence advances

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 02:20:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The trouble is that it isn't completely unpredictable. If the military
> want a homicidal, but brilliant, military commander. then they can
> probably get one by building an organizing intelligence on top of a
> combination of military philosophies. They will start with a question
> / answer system, but some situations will require initiative without
> waiting for human instruction. Because faster response wins the
> conflict. And the enemy might be building their own military AI.
>
> A bleak future indeed.

I thought we were well beyond killbots.  I thought we were in the
more-screwed environment where the subsecond wall street trader AI were
influencing government policy as part of their market prediction
strategies.  Perhaps that's old news by the mere fact that I have any
glimmer of imagining the possibility of it being real.

I thought all these memeplexes are carefully constructed (evolved) so those
being abused defend their "way of life" to the benefit of the oppressor.

I think I'd worry less about a rational AI computing a utility score for
the human labor force on this planet than some of the ideology of the
collective of small-minded monkeys wielding excessive legislative and
enforcement authority.

Sorry, also a bleak future.  I wonder if the energy shortage folks will
jump in to make me feel "better" about how we aren't going to survive long
enough to make any of my dystopian nightmares possible.  :)