[ExI] [NSG-d] Alice Through the Event Horizon

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 16 16:52:52 UTC 2013

----- Forwarded message from Steve Witham <sw at tiac.net> -----

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:04:32 -0400
From: Steve Witham <sw at tiac.net>
To: Nanotechnology Study Group - open discussion <nsg-d at marshome.org>
Subject: [NSG-d] Alice Through the Event Horizon

There's a new paradox at the intersection of quantum physics and
general relativity.  In my dim understanding,

Alice and Bob have become entangled.  They travel close to a big black
hole, and Alice goes in, she crosses the event horizon.

General relativity says, she shouldn't notice anything special
happening at that point, not until she actually gets close to the
singularity.

Meanwhile, the black hole is splitting virtual entangled particle
pairs, pulling one of each pair inward at the event horizon and
allowing the other to escape to the outside.

Something about, for the information in the black hole to be
conserved, the outgoing radiation must become entangled with other
stuff outside the event horizon.

E.g., Bob.  But Bob can't be entangled with both Alice and the
outgoing particle.

So, something has to give, one of the principles I've handwaved at
above.  If it's Alice's smooth trip, the alternative seems to be, she
instantly gets fried on crossing the event horizon, it's a "firewall."
The energy represented by her entanglement with Bob is dumped into her
when Bob gets involved with the other particle and breaks off the
affair, so to speak.

Alice seems to be a candidate for a position right up there with
Schroedinger's Cat.

I hope I have added sufficiently to the confusion to interest you.

https://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20121221-alice-and-bob-meet-the-wall-of-fire/

 --Steve

----- End forwarded message -----