[ExI] FW: speed of light at the speed of light

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 20:26:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM, spike wrote:
> Ja.  With c, everything is different from our normal experiences.  In our
> world, 0.99999 etc is infinitely close to 1, and we can treat it as equal to
> 1.  But 0.999999…c is still infinitely far from c.  From the point of view
> of c, 0.99999…c is infinitesimally close to zero.

The problem for people new to relativity is that common sense doesn't apply.
We're not in Kansas anymore.

Relativity cannot be explained to someone by a few emails.
I'm afraid it takes time and reading to assimilate new concepts.

Relativity of simultaneity: Two events, simultaneous for one observer,
may not be simultaneous for another observer if the observers are in
relative motion.
Time dilation: Moving clocks are measured to tick more slowly than an
observer's "stationary" clock.
Length contraction: Objects are measured to be shortened in the
direction that they are moving with respect to the observer.
Mass–energy equivalence: E = mc2, energy and mass are equivalent and
transmutable.
Maximum speed is finite: No physical object, message or field line can
travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Having a go at explaining relativity in simple terms is a popular hobby.
There are many articles and videos available on the net.
Search for - explaining relativity -.

BillK