[ExI] Printing pizza and shrimp treadmills

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Wed Dec 18 03:15:30 UTC 2013

<http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/tom-coburn-federal-spending-wastebook-pizza-101238.html>

As with Senator Coburn's (and the press's) past mocking of the
treadmill for shrimp, this year's $124,955 from NASA for a mechanical
engineer to build a 3d-printer that can print a pizza is a sensible expense.

The treadmill for shrimp is a way to understand their locomotion,
which is useful for the development of walking robots. (A very
important area of research with benefits from home healthcare to
improved prosthetics to battlefield to rescue operations.)

Likewise, figuring out how to use 3d printers to create tasty,
healthy, and safe food is a sensible investment. (Useful in
constrained physical environments, like submarines or manned space
missions, or specialized medical situations, and a surrogate for
other organic printing, e.g., of pharmaceuticals.)

There's plenty the government spends that's wasted, better done
privately, or exceeds my understanding of constitutional authority,
and I commend Senator Coburn for highlighting this annually.

But these two examples just betray the ignorance of technology and
engineering of anyone mocking them.

-- David.