[ExI] confused trees and bees

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 23 21:05:29 UTC 2013

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 10:04 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] confused trees and bees

On Dec 23, 2013 8:22 AM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>. With the possibility of low cost instruments and data loggers, we are
mechanizing one aspect of science: we can collect observations.  But those
instruments cannot ponder what they are measuring.  We have the possibility
of a stunning replication of observational opportunities, but at the same
time we may be suffering from a decline in our collective capacity to
interpret what we are seeing.

>.Why does this bother you?  The solution is obvious: find a way to
mechanize the pondering too.  Some folk have already been doing this, albeit
only with laboratory demonstrators so far.

Furthermore, I fear that even if we manage to write software which ponders
data and somehow derives AHA insights, we will not be able to write the
software such that it enjoys that process the way we do.