[ExI] Nootropics and Anders

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 17:36:33 UTC 2013

On 12/26/13, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Subjective feelings are treacherous; they don't give good evidence for
> cognitive enhancement but they certainly *feel* like they give evidence.
> I think one should try to run some tests (in this case, memory tests) to
> actually check what works - especially since individual variations of
> neurotransmitter levels make efficacies very variable.

### Oh, absolutely, I would not take a drug just on the basis of
subjective feelings. However, donepezil was shown to improve cognition
measurably in normal middle aged men: Airline pilots were tested in a
flight simulator, then re-tested after taking donepezil, and there was
an objective improvement in their (already good) function.

The dreams, a well-known side effect of donepezil, were for me
amazing, it was like seeing insanely bizarre movies and remembering
them for days.

Rafal