[ExI] Nootropics and Anders

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 27 09:35:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-27 00:45, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> I also notice a slight tendency of mental stickiness that is not so
> good if you get stuck on something suboptimal.   It is easy to burn a
> lot of mental energy on something that doesn't actually increase the
> things I value.   But I can hardly blame the drug for that since such
> has been true my entire life.  :) But modafinil seems to be a bit of
> an accelerant for that.

The stickiness is exactly what I like: while I have wasted mornings
correcting People Who Are Wrong On The Internet or doing elaborate
simulations of obscure physics, it also helps me finish projects and
writing I would otherwise get distracted from. I doubt I fulfil any
clinical criteria for ADHD, but the normal human flightiness -
especially if you are creative and interested in plenty - is something
that it is useful to sometimes temporarily tune down.

I usually explain to students that smart drugs do not make you better at
time management. Or give you any new information.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute