[ExI] wheelchair driving drunk, was: RE: Nootropics and Anders

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 28 05:00:12 UTC 2013

Subject: Re: [ExI] Nootropics and Anders

On 12/27/13, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I am already a combination of Superman and Jesus:  I can walk on steel.

### Spike, you are super: As I just verified, the above is a completely new
and genuinely original joke, completely unknown to Google :)

Rafal

Rafal you are far too kind sir.  My gag was a logical extension of an
innovative comment by I think BillK about nootropics making one a
combination of Jesus and Superman.  That one made me laugh.  Of all the
sites I have hung out on the internet over the years, ExI is filled with the
most innovative materials.

Regarding information and innovation, I have a topic which is I think
original to bounce off of you, with comments most welcome, considering your
being a doctor.  Imagine a memory care unit, filled with people who can do
nothing but experience the moment, no effective storage mechanisms still
functioning in the brain.  Many if not most of these people are in a lot of
pain, nearly all are bored and lonely.  It really isn't much of a life at
all.  I was there visiting just today.  It is the counterpart of Disneyland:
it is the saddest place on earth.

Many of the patients cannot really walk safely, so they are in a wheelchair,
not really paralyzed but there they are.  Nothing to do ever, no one to talk
to that isn't in the same situation; the staff members are too busy to chat.
There are few visitors.

It occurred to me today we could rig up a device that would allow them to
drink alcohol in such a way that their BAC could be maintained at .15 to .18
range, way too impaired to drive but conscious, feeling no pain etc.  We
could make a breath analyzer which would deliver a mixture of alcohol and
water to maintain hydration but giving them plenty of alcohol, automatically
mixing it stronger as they sober up, then watering it down as they get more
drunk, etc.  It might motivate them to drink more water, so it might
actually extend their lives, but even if it doesn't, seems it would surely
make their declining days more pleasant.

If a person was a non-drinker or a very light drinker all their lives, then
took up heavy drinking right at the goal line, seems like their liver would
have plenty of miles left on it once the brain was mostly defunct, so they
might as well have some fun.  Rafal, would a healthy liver in an 80 yr old
be able to take on a steady stream of alcohol for a few yrs?

It would only apply to those who are wheelchair-bound, who have Alzheimers,
who don't really need to sober up for visitors very often.

I even came up with an idea for how to deal with their bottom end: we could
create a wheelchair with a waste receptacle below and a means of wicking the
moisture away from the skin.

Seems like there should be companies somewhere working on stuff like this,
or venture capitalists working on it somewhere.  I need to get with those
people, but even more, I need to find some nursing home patients who are
willing and eager to spend the last part of their lives experimenting with
innovative devices such as an automated alcohol delivery system rigged up
with a wheelchair.