[ExI] Nootropics and Anders

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 11:32:05 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Evidence for this? I see a lot of dumb people with contempt for others too.
> I was recently contemptuously told I was stupid by a person of
> less-than-average intelligence because I was not pursuing money with all my
> might.
>
> I have seen proper studies finding smarter people being more cooperative in
> economic games and teamwork. Not evidence for niceness, but at least
> enlightened self-interest.

My initial reaction was that sociopaths have above average IQ.  They
don't have a conscience or emotional involvement so they need a higher
IQ because they have to work harder to survive in society. But on
reflection, I think that is probably a myth.

Sociopaths have the same IQ spread as the rest of the population.  But
the sociopaths we *notice* are the high IQ successful group. Those who
can't cope with society end up homeless or in jail.

So successful high IQ sociopaths cause more trouble for society
because they are using their higher IQ to manipulate people and
systems for their own advantage. The more normal high IQ people get
pushed aside or occupy themselves with interesting careers and hobbies
leaving the coast clear for the sociopaths to take over politics,
finance, corporations, etc.

I suspect that many of the charming charismatic politicians and
corporate leaders that Anders consults with are actually sociopaths
looking for the best way to increase their own power and influence.
Until you see them in action it is hard to appreciate just how good at
manipulation these higher IQ sociopaths are. You find yourself
*wanting* to help and assist them in their schemes.

BillK

BillK